Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai was so enjoyable- The two full days that we were there we just shopped until we dropped for fabrics, lamp shades, and other things to decorate our office in Mae Sot. Last night one of the staff and I stayed up late at the night bazaar (super large and crowded street market with everything you could possibly think of) buying different things and it was so much fun. Most of the time because we are white, the people selling their products charge us twice as much, so you should begin haggling at at least half of what they ask.... but I'm a true bargain shopper. They'd tell me it was like 200 baht (which is really only like $6.25) and I'd get em down to like 80 baht (which is barely more than $2). Totally my scene. Sometimes I'd name my price and they'd laugh at me and say no, and so I'd walk away and they'd continue to lower their price as I was leaving, and eventually they'd crack and yell, "Okay Okay!! I'll do it!" Gotta love it.... Super intricate purses for $5. We were told to meet in the hotel lobby at 3:00 a.m. for our ride back to Mae Sot, but when we got back to our hotel room and showered we realized it was already almost 1:00 so we just made some coffee and stayed up until 2:30, walked to McDonalds and had burgers, and then got in the truck : ) I'm so thankful we did that because if I only get 2 hours of sleep it feels worse in my opinion. The reason we had to leave so early was beacause at 8:00 a.m. we had to be at the childrens' mother's day celebration at their school.

No comments:

Post a Comment