Friday, August 5, 2011

Eyes Enlightened

The days go by so quickly here. This morning my friends and I were able to paint the office, and in the afternoon Eric and Alex taught Tae Kwon Doe once more to the children. Each day the children get better at their kicks and punches, and it is absolutely hilarious to watch them practice! Recently I worked in the kitchen preparing dinner using this huge knife... and with every slice I thought maybe my finger would be cooked along with the vegetables- thank goodness that has not been the case. The children have been teaching me their hand games, and they are much more advanced than American handgames-- no matter how hard I've tried so far, I've continually failed. One of these days I'll get it! This evening we have 2 of the kids staying with us at our home (my house), and I just love how easily pleased they are. My heart is enlightened when I see their thankfulness and I pray that I would grow to be like them in their constant gratitude for all blessings; big or small. Earlier today I was listening to one of the staff members share about a meeting she had today with a woman and her young daughter. The woman makes about 50 baht a day (30 baht= $1); sometimes less (30 baht) and sometimes more(100 baht). With the amount of money that she must pay for rent each day, she has about 15 cents(American money) to live on each day for food. Working hard all day for that small amount blows my mind and it's not even as bad as it can get in some cases. Some days her child eats, and sometimes she can't afford it. This story though one of many is yet another eye opener to how much I have and how much I don't need.

No comments:

Post a Comment